Wednesday, July 16, 2008

You Can't Put a Price Tag on Love

The Nikon people emailed me an estimate for the repair work needing to be done on my precious camera. So now I’m trying to decide if it would be more prudent to have the repair made or to use the $135 toward the purchase of a new camera; with the cost of shipping and the need to procure a new memory card, the total cost will probably be closer to the region of an even two hundred buckeronies.

I love my camera even though natural light shots tend to be a little blurry and the camera sometimes has a hard time focusing. The time it takes for the camera to power-up is excessive at times as well. But generally it takes great shots, and I know how to operate almost all of the functions. There are certain things about my grandparents’ camera that work better than mine, but I don’t know if that is enough to entice me into the new-camera-market.

Shopping for these types of products is overwhelming for me. I spend hours researching and reading reviews, only to buy a product that isn’t right for me. What kind of batteries does the camera take? Do I need to spend an extra fifty dollars to buy it/them separately? And then the camera dies a couple of years from now anyway. What to do, what to do. Spend the money on a piece of equipment I know and can (mostly) depend on, or buy a new bottom of the line camera (with twice as many mega pixels)?

Sigh. These are the questions that plague me. They just don’t make things like they used to. Whoever “they” are. “They” have gotten quite enough money out of me for one year with all of the replacement of technology that has been going on around here. Which reminds me: we still haven’t gone stove shopping. Because of the level of importance I put on my camera, my oven falls a little bit lower on the list. That may mean that I’m a slightly negligent person. Possible range explosion, or no camera… hmmm. Maybe I just like to live dangerously. Or maybe I’m just dumb.

No comments:

Google